Friday, December 23, 2011

Cheerios on my yoga mat

Really? That's the post I decided to take a break on? It's been since AUGUST that I last wrote anything! Good grief (hey, it's Christmastime, you know that everyone is watching Charlie Brown). This post is about something I deal with at least a couple times a week: working out with children in your house. Children who happen to be awake at the time you are trying to work out, in the same 4 inch space as where you are trying to do a downward dog, chaturanga, round-house kick or whatever! I think you see my point. It is so cold here that running at 6:50 in the morning is not really an option I like to choose. Nor is going outside to do my yoga like I do in the summertime. So it means in the living room, next to the wood burning stove; which on the plus side gives you a great sweat session! The kids see me start my workout, and that means immediate requests for: hold me! water, please! shoes on! I went potty - come wipe me! When those are declined, ignored (except for the potty one, that's just a mess waiting to happen otherwise!) then the kids fall into the dance of doing what mommy is doing....right next to me. Which means I dance around trying to find an open area to kick or stretch. OR they eat snacks right next to me which means I am stepping on cheerios and whatnot the whole time. The best (and by that I mean worst) time is when the dog decides to get into it too. There's nothing like a downward dog pose where your dog starts licking your face while you're trying to concentrate on your breathing. I'm complaining, I know. But it's also kind of fun sometimes. Especially when I lay down to do ab stuff, and the kids take that as "jump on mommy!" time. But that's some great tickling, airplane, bonding opportunities that I take time to enjoy. The whole point of working out is to be a stronger me, and a better, happier, fitter mommy for the punks. What would be the point if I didn't include them? As a reminder for myself, and all mom's that are trying to be healthy - there will be lots of time to namaste without the extra noise and craziness. I should just be grateful that I have healthy, happy kids that want to be wherever I am - because I know that when they are teenagers, I will probably be low on the list of people to hang with (I hope not, but it's most likely gonna happen.)

1 comment:

Aubri said...

I seriously cannot believe that nobody has commented on this!! :-) You're so cute... I love this image of you. Your kids get to grow up seeing mommy being healthy, and remember that she would take time out to tickle them, wrestle them, laugh at the dog licking her face... beautiful. Just plain beautiful.

(And just for the record, Hi! It's Aubri...)