Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Hushing Our Fears

As we get ready for this great adventure coming up of selling all of our things, and moving to Hawaii, I feel that General Conference was just what I needed to hear!  Jan, Tyler, Addy, Ella, and Brady were here for their spring break, and we were able to hang out, shop a bit, go to dinner at a really yummy place called Tucanos, and watch Ella and Brady while they went to the Saturday afternoon session.  I wasn't as diligent as I usually am about my note taking during conference, so I've been going back over and reading all the sessions on my phone and the church website.  One that I did take notes on and pay careful attention to was the talk by Elder David A. Bednar, called "Therefore They Hushed Their Fears."  I felt the truth in that talk to my very bones.  

I have moments of true fear and panic where I start to freak out about the yard sale this weekend, getting everything to Oregon, shipping it from Oregon, and making sure we earn all the money to go with it.  I worry about the kids during the summer and not having insurance.  I stress about how I'm going to work full time while Kevin (hopefully) works full time and what the kids will be doing.  I want to spend time with my family, and my friends while we're there.  Basically I turn into this big bundle of spastoid.  Then I turn to my Heavenly Father in prayer, and the calm and comforting feeling that we are doing what is good and right, and that we will be supported during this comes back to me, and I tell my brain to be quiet, because it's not being productive.   My favorite part of that talk was this quote of scripture:  
“But Alma went forth and stood among them, and exhorted them that they should not be frightened, but … should remember the Lord their God and he would deliver them.  “Therefore they hushed their fears” (Mosiah 23:27–28)

I know that we are going to be okay whenever I think of that scripture, and when I pray.

1 comment:

The Neilsen Family said...

Becky, I totally needed to read this today! I accidentally came up on your blog, and now I know why. We are moving to Utah based on inspiration and nothing else. It's a huge leap of faith we are taking, Adam doesn't even have a job there yet. I'm having a baby in September and freaking out constantly about insurance, money, selling things, making new friends, sacrificing my business, the list goes on...BUT I know that because I'm following inspiration everything will be OK. I have a lot of fear though and it's a constant battle but I'm grateful for my testimony in following the spirit, and for friends like you that are great examples! Thanks for posting this!!