Monday, March 9, 2009

Rough night


(Lexi and Daddy last night when it randomly snowed!)

(I hadn't showered yet, but she actually smiled with me!)

( I love her little tennies, they are from Auntie Beth)
Poor Lexi....She has gained the weight she needed to, so we scheduled her surgery for this Thursday (we scheduled it a few weeks ago)and everything has been a go. We are leaving for Portland tomorrow, she has pre-op on Wednesday where they will admit her into the Doernbecher Pediatrics, and then surgery Thursday morning. So we've been living in fear of her getting sick, since she has to be in prime health for this to happen, and everything has been fine. Kevin had a really bad cold last week, so we kept them away from eachother as best as we could. I'm not a germaphobe by any means, normally I think it's great for her to be around some germies, so that she builds a strong immune system - don't get me wrong, I'm not gonna hand her to someone visibly icky, or someone with chicken pox!I just don't freak out about her getting dirty, or if someone doesn't wash their hands before they hold her, ya know, stuff they say all new moms do - Well I don't! Anyway, she wakes up yesterday with a cough, I'm thinking, "this isn't horrible" Then when I get home from church, Kevin is changing her bag and says "I don't know if she has diarrhea or what, but this thing exploded!" And lo and behold - she has diarrhea. Now, having experienced this, many moms will say "no big deal, she poops in a bag how bad can it be?" Let me tell you - BAD...REALLY REALLY REALLY BAD. See, she goes in a bag, but this stuff is so acidic, it just eats right through the seal, and literally rips her tummy up until it has open sores and is bright red like a burn, which means new bags won't stick because I can't clean it without causing her a lot of pain - that happened last time in the course of about 1 1/2 days. Oh, and did I mention that we planned her bags down to the wire - she had 6 left? HAD mind you, HAD - she has 3 now. They send me 30 bags a month, and then I have to wait a month to reorder, she had diarrhea 3 weeks ago, so I can't reorder without a prescription. Oh, and last time, she had weighed 17lbs 10oz, so we scheduled the surgery, then she got sick for 3 days, and lost a pound because of it. So she can't have this for very long, because if she doesn't weigh enough they won't do the surgery. So I'm stressing out quite a bit about this, but we had Kevin and Mike DeKorte give her a blessing last night, which said she would have her surgery as planned. I have faith that she will be ok. I had to wake up every 2-3 hours last night to empty her bag in the sink, which would wake her up, then give her pedialyte and rock her back to sleep. Otherwise, her bag would have leaked everywhere, which is a lot worse! So she is still sleeping right now, I was getting ready for work and it was like a voice said "what the heck are you doing? You need to stay with her today." So here I sit, venting and complaining and waiting for her to wake up so she can have rice and applesauce. You know what's funny though - I honestly love being a mommy. If someone had told me all of this before hand, I would have said no way! There's nothing else I want to be now. Oh, there she's waking up now, I'll blog when we get to Portland as well as post photos.

3 comments:

Anja said...

Good luck, we'll keep you guys in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

Oh Becky!!! ::HUGS:: I'm so glad you posted this... I've been seriously wondering about you guys. You're still in my thoughts and prayers, as always!

I sent you a text tonight... it was a shallow text. :-)

Southworths said...

Oh man she is so cute and getting so big.. I miss you and hope that everything goes well in Portland.